Friday 20 July 2012

What's cooking? Good looking.

Today has been a stay in day today and other than reading my book and getting a little bit of work done for my EPQ, my main task for the day has been cooking up some yummy treats. I'm currently kicking myself for not having my camera up and running because they looked absolutely divine. I made 2 things, both with the assistance of my gorgeous assistant, my lovely little sister. I made a divine chocolate cake and some yummy spring rolls.



Usually I make my cakes from scratch, because, if I do say so myself, my cakes are pretty good. I've been told enough times. However this was on sale in the local co-op so I decided to give it a try. This product isn't  specifically vegan because you are meant to add butter and eggs, it's meant to be gluten free. However, if you use a powder egg substitute and some Pure dairy free margarine, then this makes up a "nommy", as my boyfriend says it, cake. Anyway, the cake is delicious and much recommended  to try.

9/10

This is their website: http://www.halenhearty.co.uk/our_range/products/classic_chocolate_cake_mix/


The other thing I made were some spring rolls. I've been meaning to make them for ages, since I bought the dim sung pastry at my local oriental supermarket. It was so cheap, about 89p and enough to make 100 or so spring rolls. I also bought a huge tin of water chestnuts for under a pound. So all in all, a cheap choice. To make them I grated some carrots, chopped some mushrooms, onion and water chestnuts and stir-fried them in a wok. Once the veggies were cooked I put them in a container and added extra oil to the wok. While I was waiting for the oil to heat up I laid out the pastry sheets, put a spoonful of veg on each and rolled them up. I popped 3 in at once, however I left them on one side for slightly too long. Oh well, they still tasted yummy. From then on, once I'd got the hang of it, they turned out pretty fab. Try this!


M xx  

No comments:

Post a Comment